Tuesday, September 6, 2011

We're Off to See the Wizzard...and don't forget the Pop Tarts!

Well, I'm certainly not in Kansas, but I didn't start out there anyway.  There is a tornado warning issued for the part of VA where we're currently stopped to get some breakfast though!  The drive has been pretty rough to this point (the VA-NC line), because it's been on and off pouring rain since we left PA.  However, we're still making pretty decent time, and I still love driving south!  I didn't get to go to Aiken, SC, this winter so all year I've felt like I forgot something...but I'm getting my I-95 trip in!  When I was travelling with a friend of mine years ago, she said something about the fact that when you listen to the radio south of the Mason-Dixon line before sunrise you will listen to them talk about one of two things: church or aliens.  While I've never quite proven that theory to be true, I do enjoy playing radio roulette as I head into rural VA.  At least it keeps me awake!

If I had better internet connection than the McDonald's in Skippers has available I would start posting some of the pictures I have on my phone.  But I guess you'll have to take me on my word that both Lady and her travel partner (Emma Hartley's horse Topper) are happily munching on some hay.  I know in a few more hours Lady will start giving me the "Are we there yet?" look every time I peek my head in the trailer.

Thanks to a few good friends of mine: Karen, Cayla, and Jeff Rubin for sending me off with a FANTASTIC basket of goodies!  It's already half gone!  I took a few pictures of what it looked like before I tore it apart, so I'll be sure to post some of those later too.

We left PA at 3:36am and our estimated time of arrival in GA is 5:30ish this evening.  I'll probably post something more when we get to the hotel!  There's a lot I haven't covered but it's time to get going!

---------------------------------------------------

Well, 17hrs, 4 torrential downpours, 3 traffic jams due to accidents, 2 tornado warnings, and 1 wrong turn due to being blinded by the rain later....WE MADE IT!!  Both Lady and Topper are happy to be in their stalls with big piles of hay in front of them.  We managed to get stalls in the permanant stabling, and Lady has an end stall in a barn on top of a hill with a view of all the comings and goings...she is in heaven.  Since it was dark by the time we pulled into the venue, I cannot wait to see what the place actually looks like, because judging from the gorgeous barns we're stabled in it's going to be pretty amazing.

I'll definitely have pictures up tomorrow!  And at some point I actually have to do some homework...

No comments:

Post a Comment